Prospective PhD students
At WISENET, we are looking for students with a commitment to excellence in all aspects of their life. We value highly motivated and enthusiastic students that would like to pursue an international research-driven career and are willing to put in all the necessary effort to make that happen. Similarly, we also appreciate students that while having a more entrepreneur vision, would still like also to pursue fundamental and applied research in the WISENET areas, bringing key novelties.
Essentially, we are looking for students that are sufficiently motivated to become international leaders in these areas, intellectually curious and creative, and with sufficient proficiency in English. This will be aligned with the fact that our Center is always focused on achieving international excellence by participating in very innovative research projects and achieving results that are targeted to be published only in the top international conferences and journals of these areas.
In addition to this, of course, having a knowledge of ethics and behaving ethically (notice that these are two different things) are a must, this is not negotiable.
Before sending an email, please be aware of the following:
- Since our Centre is very focused on achieving international excellence, we will make sure in every opening that only candidates that achieve a certain (sufficiently high) threshold, will be considered for interviews. Our job offers descriptions will also explain this very clearly.
- We are aware of the rankings of schools from around the world and we know how to interpret your grade point average. Never convert your GPA to a 4.0 scale or a 10.0 scale. Please, leave it in the original scale (out of 10, out of 100, etc). Notice that coming from a good school or having a high GPA is not enough to be admitted. Apart from having an excellent academic record, you must have something else that impresses us to maximize your chances of being hired.
If you feel that your profile matches our Lab and you are interested in joining us, you can contact us any time, however, please, adhere to the following guidelines in your correspondence. If you do not follow these guidelines, it is unlikely that we will reply to you.
- Do not send a form letter. This will be deleted immediately. Yes, we recognize form letters used in past years.
- Send a resume following these instructions:
- Send the CV in ASCII or .pdf format. It is to your benefit to include a resume in a universal format (ASCII, pdf or html) whenever you contact a professor. Many professors will not open Word attachments. It is also to your benefit to include a copy of your resume in your application for a job offer at University of Agder.
- In applications to PhD positions, it is recommendable to have your CV limited to at most 2 pages, using an 11-pt font size.
- Your CV should follow as much as possible the following format:
- Name, mailing address, phone, and e-mail address
- Educational information: for each degree received or currently enrolled in, please give the degree, institution name, institution city, institute state/province, and date (or expected date) of graduation. Include the title and summary of your senior design project or (Bachelor / Master) Thesis if you did one. Also, list your GPA and the maximum possible GPA. If your undergraduate degree is from a university outside of Norway, then annotate the GPA listing by the type of system you are in. If your GPA system is not on a 4.0 scale, then do not try to convert it to a 4.0 system. Do not include your class rank. Do not include any information about schooling completed prior to attending college.
- Work experience: include the institution (company or academia) name and a 1-2 sentence description of your duties
- Publications: give full citation information, including all authors, volume numbers, and page numbers.
- Other technical skills such as: experience in testbed design and measurements, knowledge of programming languages (high-level languages, scripting languages, assembly languages), software development tools, algorithm development based on Matlab, LabVIEW, Python and C/C++, network performance evaluation, electronic design automation, etc.
- Consider also taking any relevant English Test (TOEFL, IELTS, CEFR) to show clearly your proficiency in English. Providing this also in your CV, will be a plus.
Notice that apart from these guidelines, we will also follow the procedures established by the University of Agder. After a first selection of short-listed applicants, then, only these candidates will be invited for interviews. With the applicant’s permission, University of Agder will also conduct a reference check by requesting several recommendation letters for each candidate.
The PhD Research Fellows must also be admitted to the PhD Program in Information & Communication Technologies at University of Agder.